Robert S. Price-USA TODAY NETWORK

Trump says attack on Syria 'could be very soon or not at all'

Matt Saintsing
April 12, 2018 - 11:38 am

President Donald Trump said Thursday, that a U.S. attack on Syria could take place “very soon or not soon at all!”

The Thursday morning tweet is a bit of a departure from what Trump said on Wednesday, when he warned Russia to “get ready” for a missile attack on Syrian forces, suggesting that punitive strikes would come as a result of a suspected Syrian chemical attack on civilians.

But on Thursday, Trump stated that he “Never said when an attack on Syria would take place.”

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis indicated that intelligence was still being reviewed. “I believe there was a chemical attack and we’re looking for the actual evidence,” Mattis said Thursday morning testifying before the House Armed Services Committee.

He added that even if investigators could get to the site of the alleged chemical attack, they likely wouldn’t be able to determine who carried out the attack, just that there was an attack.

On Monday, Trump suggested he had little doubt that Syria was to blame, but no administration officials have produced any hard evidence, unlike last year where the U.S. government produced video and other intelligence of the actual attack by a Syrian regime aircraft.

Trump responded last April by firing dozens of Tomahawk cruise missiles at a Syrian airfield.

The president didn’t detail what another Syria strike would look like, or whether the strike would be unilateral or done in concert with allies.

When asked Thursday by Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI.) why another Syria strike would be in the interest of the American people, Mattis said “I think it’s by far in the best interest of civilization, certainly in the best interest of America, that (chemical weapons) convention be obeyed by the nations that have signed it.

READ MORE READ LESS