WASHINGTON — Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt. Jeff Davis confirmed on Friday that the U.S. detected a North Korean ballistic missile launch saying, “we assess that this missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile.”
Davis added that the launch did not pose a threat to North America.
The Pentagon’s announcement follows a statement from the South Korean Defense Ministry which says an “unidentified missile” was launched at 11:41 p.m. from North Korea’s northern Jagang province. Meanwhile, Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has called a meeting of the National Security Council following the apparent launch.
Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the missile flew for approximately 45 minutes, which indicates that it could be an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). After the North’s July 4 launch, the Hermit Kingdom claimed it had successfully tested an ICBM that flew 580 miles, reaching an altitude of 1,741 miles with a flight time of 39 minutes.
The latest missile launch is the 14th brazen test carried out by the rogue regime so far this year.
North Korea remains the only nation to have used nuclear weapons this century, and the acceleration and frequency in testing shows not only the North’s nuclear ambitions but also that the rogue nation has developed something of an arsenal.